When your new start is hampered by a broken house, we can help.


You might have signed a contract, but what happens when your house is uninhabitable?

A couple with one small child and a second child due soon moved to the area due start a new job, and secured private rented accommodation.  They contacted us for advice on the obligation the Landlord had to repair the property as the level of repairs required made the property uninhabitable for the family. In fact, the situation was so bad that the couple were concerned for their safety should they remain in the property.

We were able to advise the couple with detailed information on repair obligations. We also provided guidance for the family on how to negotiate a release from the tenancy so the family could secure alternative safe accommodation.  With this information, the couple were able to talk effectively with their landlord direct and using the wording we provided, negotiated a mutual release from the tenancy agreement without further financial impact or loss.

For more information about housing issues, click here
If you want to contact us about a housing issue you are experiencing, click here

Citizens Advice Gateshead Updates
We will keep you up-to-date with exciting developments within the charity, the impact of our work and opportunities to help us create a fair society for all, with lives well lived.
© 2020-21 Citizens Advice Gateshead 
Company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales 2631064 and registered Charity 1020565. VAT Number 733994300. Registered office The Davidson Building, Swan Street, Gateshead, NE8 1BG
facebook-squarelinkedin-squarephonetwitteryoutube-playinstagram linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram